Special Olympics World Games
Get Ready for the Los Angeles 2015 Celebration
Opening Ceremony July 25th at Los Angeles Coliseum
Cheer on more than 7,000 athletes from 177 countries and enjoy the star-studded show that will officially launch the World Games.
SPECIAL OFFER from Special Olympics World Games: 25% off tickets to Opening Ceremonay. Enter Code WGFANS at this link.http://bitly.com/LA2015discount.
Join Us As Fans In the Stands at Special Olympics World Games 2015
Harbor Regional Center wants to show the support of our community and welcome special athletes from around the world, when they come to compete in the World Games this summer from July 25th to August 2nd. Several Events will take place in our service area, at the Marine Stadium, Alamitos Beach, Alamitos Bay & Belmont Pier.
HRC will have over 300 volunteer Fans in the Stands attending the following events at Long Beach venues. (Fans in the Stands are considered World Games Volunteers, so we must make a committment to attend our scheduled events). Would you like to join us? If so contact Kerry.Ryerson@harborrc.org
- Sunday July 26 9:30 - 1:00 Beach Volleyball Alamitos Beach
- Monday July 27 8:30 - 1:15 Beach Volleyball Alamitos Beach
- Tuesday July 28 8:30 - 1:30 Beach Volleyball Alamitos Beach
- Tuesday July 28 10:30 - 2:00 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
- Tuesday July 28 2:00 - 5:00 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
- Wednesday July 29 10:30 - 2:00 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
- Wednesday July 29 2:00 - 5:30 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
- Wednesday July 29 2:00 - 4:30 Beach Volleyball Alamitos Beach
- Thursday July 30 8:30 - 12:00 Kayaking Marine Stadium
- Thursday July 30 11:30 - 2:30 Open Water Swim Alamitos Beach
- Thursday July 30 1:15 - 4:00 Cycling Alamitos Beach
- Friday July 31 8:30 - 12:30 Kayaking Marinie Stadium
- Friday July 31 2:00 - 5:30 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
- Saturday August 1 10:30 - 3:00 Sailing Alamitos Bay/Belmont Pier
Fans in the Stands Game Day Guide
Check this booklet for venue information, what to bring and not to bring, and maps. PS - Wear Sunscreen!
Several cities in the HRC area will be acting as Host Cities for teams from around the world. The Host Town program is a very special 3-day program that takes place prior to the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics World Games. At their Host Towns, delegations of athletes from around the world will be welcomed and celebrated. The schedule of events will include getting to know community members, taking part in cultural activities unique to each area, and practicing and resting for The Games. The Special Olympics athletes will feel truly celebrated and Host Town members will make friends for life. Check below for local host town activities seeking volunteers.
Watch inspirational video on the important role of Host Towns
Redondo Beach Host Town
- Free Event: The Parade of Athletes on Thursday, July 23 from 5:15pm – 6:00pm – The parade will start next to the police sub-station, veer right past Tony’s, around the far end, past Kincaids, down the ramp past Quality Seafood, left along the International Boardwalk, left at the end in front of Samba’s, past Ruby’s to the Seaside Lagoon. Lets welcome the international athletes!
- Lagoon Party at the Seaside Lagoon, Thursday, July 23rd at 6:30pm. tickets (cash or check only) $50 on the day of the event. This is a fundraiser that covers everything the Host City is doing for the delegations and it pays for the individual and one athlete to attend the event. It covers the barbeque and you also receive a goodie bag that includes a windbreaker.
Long Beach Host Town Activities
"Long Beach is proud to host over 100 Special Olympics World Games Chinese delegates to our city. The Host Town program takes place July 21-24 prior to the Opening Ceremony of the Special Olympics World Games. Over a three day period, athletes will be welcomed and celebrated throughout Long Beach. The schedule of events will include getting to know community members, taking part in cultural activities unique to our city, and practicing and resting for The Games. The Special Olympics athletes will feel truly celebrated and Host Town members will make friends for life. We are casting HEROES to play major supporting roles to our STARS - the Special Olympics athletes! Join Long Beach Host Town as a volunteer!
Perks of being a Hero:
Official World Games Host Town Uniform
Free meal when you work a 6 – 8 hour shift
Parking accessible at some venues.
The feeling that you've made a difference in the lives of the thousands of Special Olympics athletes
If you have any questions, please contact 1 (800) 4LB-STAY or email@example.com. Long Beach Host Town Volunteer Application Click Here
- Friday, July 24, 2015 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.* - Community Farewell at California State University, Long Beach